Mike by Brian Caswell

MikeThis novel has an interesting plot, which was easy to follow for me. It is definitely a book you it is impossible to put down once you’ve started. The climax of Mike is quiet a good one, sucking you into Mikes world. But, I have to say that I wasn’t happy with the ending; Riny shouldn’t have died!

Who was the intended audience of the book? I would have to say it was young people, people going through tough times, bullying, and needed to know they weren’t the only ones. The novel was an inspiring book to read. The main issues of the book were Mikes bullying issues, his efforts to train to beat the bully Shane Thomas at swimming, and I reckon that they were appropriate for the audience. I think the story wasn’t just to entertain us, but to send out a message; you still have hope, don’t give up! Well, that’s what I think it is. Did I finish the book wanting questions answered, and issues discussed? Of course I did! You would too!

The characters of this engaging novel had personalities that complemented the plot. I do, of course, care of what happens to them! The characters are so believable, they could walk up the main street and you wouldn’t bat an eyelid. They do have a little bit of a complex relationship, but that just makes it seem better for the book, better to get the message across, you know?

The readability of Mike was top quality for me. They style of the text and the size made it easy to read. The language also suited the novel well, and I recommend you read it! The book has affected my life in the ways I deal with bullying; stand up, and fight back! I am really glad I read it.

J.H.

(8.5/10)